I’ll leave it to Gloria to tell you what salt does to chocolate:
Gloria: Who wants chocolate milk?
Manny: Sure, Mom.
Gloria: So how is it going?
Manny: Great, Kelly’s moving her stuff into my notebook.
Gloria: This is sudden.
Kelly: It just felt right. Oh, you know what you should do, put a pinch of salt in the chocolate milk, it really brings out the flavor.
Gloria: Salt is for the popcorn.
Manny: Sounds good.
Gloria: You wouldn’t like it.
Kelly: Maybe we should let Manny decide.
Gloria: Okay, here’s the salt. We’ll see what he likes.
Salted Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
|Oats||320 g||2 cups|
|Whole wheat flour||130 g||1 cup|
|Baking soda||3 g||3/4 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon||1 g||1/4 teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||60 g||1/4 cup (1/2 stick)|
|Avocado||175 g||3/4 cup|
|White sugar||100 g||1/2 cup|
|Brown sugar||100 g||1/2 cup|
|Vanilla extract||4 g||1 teaspoon|
|Chocolate chips||160 g||1 cup|
|Flaky salt||10 g||2 teaspoons|
- Mix the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and 1 t of salt in a smaller bowl.
- In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and avocado. Beat in the sugars.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoons of dough on a pan and sprinkle them with the remaining salt.
- Cook for 10 minutes on 375ºF.